Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

To run or not to run the Carmel Freedom Run?

The next town over is having a 4th of July festival this weekend.  To start the weekend off they are having a 4.5 mile race called the Carmel Freedom Run.  I just can't decide if I should run it.

Reasons why I think I should run it:
1.  Races are fun!  The atmosphere, the people, the finish line... I love it!
2. It's the 4th of July weekend.  Running a race seems like a good way to start off the weekend.
3.  My husband said he would run it with me.  I haven't ran with him in a long time because he recently had ankle surgery.  He is a little annoying to run with because he alway runs a few steps ahead of me (he is really a ton faster than me) but he does push me to go faster.  In the end, I am very thankful!
4.  I haven't done speed work in a long time.  Running a race will make me get it done.
5.  It starts at 8:00.  So I will still be able to sleep in.
6.  I am taking the day off from running today so I should be ready to go tomorrow?

Reasons why I think I shouldn't run it:
1.  I am tired!  As evident by yesterday's run my body is saying-Take a break!  Not only have I been trying to get in the miles for my marathon training but I have also been doing boot camp the last 2 weeks.  My body is fatigued.
2.  I haven't done speed work in a long time.  Running sub 8 min miles seems daunting to me right now.
3. I am not in racing shape and I really don't want to have a bad race again.  I have had 2 bad races recently and I don't want to have a third!
4.  It starts at 8:00.  While it will be nice to sleep in, it is supposed to be 90 tomorrow.  Running in 80 degree weather at the start is not my favorite.  The heat really gets to me.
5.  I need to get in my long run.  I don't want this run to make me sore or too tired to get my long run in on Sunday.

So, what should I do?  I will probably end up running it.  I will have no goal time.  Who can really have a goal time for an odd race like 4.5 miles.  My only goal will be to push myself to run a solid race but not  push myself too hard that I can't get in my long run the next day.  We will see...  I will let you know tomorrow what I decided!

Have you ever ran in a race that you weren't sure was a good idea?  How did it go?

Jaime

2 comments:

  1. My goal time is to be next to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Points to you on the 'tough' meter for doing the race, Jaime! I'd have chickened out!

    ReplyDelete