Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Carmel Freedom Run- Race Report

What a great way to start off the 4th of July weekend! 4.5 mile Carmel Freedom Run done!

So how do you prepare for a 4th of July run?  Well you go the movies the night before with the hubby and eat popcorn, cheese nachos and a Dr. Pepper.


Then come home and watch the neighbors light off fireworks with the kids.
Well maybe that wasn't the best pre-run meal but I did eat pasta too!

So I actually slept pretty well.  Usually I sleep horrible the night before a race.  But I put no pressure on myself for this race so I am sure that helped.  I woke up feeling pretty good.  My arms are still unbelievably sore from boot camp.  Although I had fun doing boot camp the past 2 weeks, I am glad my sessions are done so I can concentrate on my running.

So the weather was 72 at the start with 96% humidity.  My worst running conditions.  I used to think wind was the worst but with my asthma the humidity really really gets to me.

Overall time 36:02 for 4.5 miles  (pace 8:00min/mile).  I guess I'll take it with how I have been feeling and the humidity.  But still falling a little short...
Mile 1:  Pace 7:53   Felt good.
Mile 2:  Pace 7:51  Still feeling good but hot.
Mile 3:  Pace 8:21  Hills oh how I hate you.  I couldn't breathe.  I am sure I sounded like I was having an asthma attack.
Mile 4:  Pace 8:04  Still trying to recover from the 2 hills and trying to slow my breathing down.
Last .5 miles Pace 7:45  Tired but finished strong.

Good news nobody passed us the last mile.  That always makes you feel good!

I had several goals for this race:
1.   Have fun!  It was a fun race.  So glad I got to run with Ryan again and also ran into my sister (Katie) and her friend (Becca) after the race.
Sweaty mess!

2.   Don't walk (I have done this in the past 2 races and I need to break this bad habit!)  Accomplished-no walking.  Although I did want to after the 2 hills!
3.  Run every mile under 8 minutes.  Fail!  But I just couldn't find the strength with the heat and the general fatigue I have been feeling.
4.  Finish strong.  My last half mile was my fastest:)

I am not going to dwell too much on this race because it was really just for fun but it did show me that I am not out of my running funk yet.  I know things will start to come together for me as some point but I just want them to now.  Well at least by October 9 for the Chicago Marathon!!!!
Now to rest up for my long run tomorrow:)  (Yeah right I have 3 kids begging for my attention as I type.)
Happy 4th weekend everybody!
Jaime



1 comment: