Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Weekly Recap and Medical Mondays

Time for another addition of Medical Mondays:

1.  True or False:  Sodium in fast food meals may contain more than 50% of the recommended daily sodium content for children.

2.  True or False:  The Chicken Pox Vaccination cuts chicken pox death by 50% among children.

3.  True or false:  It is recommended to keep toddlers rear-facing in car seats until age 1.

Answers below...

My milage was down a little last week since it was a taper week.  I'm not sure that I feel more rested though.  It still felt like I ran a lot.

Monday: Rest
Tuesday:  8 miles
Wednesday:  4 easy miles
Thursday:  9 miles with 2 at tempo pace
Friday:  4 easy miles
Saturday:  12 miles with rolling hills
Sunday:  Rest

Total miles for the week:  37 miles

Answers:
1.   True.   A study in Childhood Obesity found that lunchtime meals served in fast-food restaurants contain more than 50% of recommended sodium intake for children, with some containing 100% of the recommended amount for preschoolers. 


2.  False.  It cuts death by 97%!!  The CDC, reporting data from 1990 to 2007, said that the percentage of adolescents and children who died from chickenpox declined 97% after the U.S. started its vaccination program in 1995.  I think vaccinations are one of the many thinks that Americans take for granted.  They save so many lives and I feel lucky that they are readily available to us.


3.  False:  The new American Academy of Pediatrics policy advises parents to keep their toddlers in rear-facing car seats until age 2, or until they reach the maximum height and weight for their seat. It also advises that most children will need to ride in a belt-positioning booster seat until they have reached 4 feet 9 inches tall and are between 8 and 12 years of age.

Today I did an easy 4 miles.  I ran the first 3 miles at an 8:30 pace and it felt pretty easy.  Yea!  The last mile I picked up the pace a little bit and ran it in 8:10.  I felt really good during my run this morning.

Happy Monday!
Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment