Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Just When Things Were Coming Together...

Last week was one of my best running weeks.  I finally felt like things were coming together.  I felt so good on my last several runs.

Well until the last 2 miles of my last 10 mile run.  I had been having minor foot issues with my left foot but those finally healed.    Suddenly my right foot started hurt while running.

The pain did not go away. I took a day off running.  It still hurt.  I tried to run a few steps today and still with a lot of pain.  I knew this pain was different than my other issues.  And I was afraid of the worst...a stress fracture.

So today I went to see on orthopedic doctor who specializes in the foot and ankle.

The verdict:  Possible metatarsal stress fracture?  (metatarsal is one of the long bones in the foot)

Good news:  My xrays are normal.  But stress fractures don't show up on xrays for awhile.  MRI is the best test for this.  I was a little surprised he didn't want to do this.

The doctor never gave me a definitive diagnosis.  Sometimes it is nice to know... do I have a stress fracture or not.  But a lot of things in medicine are wait and see.

He said things like stress reaction.  And maybe it is a really early stress fracture.  The pain is in the exact location you would think a stress fracture would be.  But I don't think he thought it was that bad because he was pushing pretty hard.  It did hurt-bad.  But he made it seem like he shouldn't have been able to push that hard if it was a full blown stress fx.  Also there was no bruising or swelling.  More good signs.

So I interpet the diagnosis as:  Early signs of a stress fracture developing.

The plan:  (per ortho doctor)
Bike for a few days.
Then elliptical for a few days.
Then try running again.  If it hurts, back to step 2.

Also stretching.  He was surprised how tight my achilles was.  I know, I know.  I am one of the most inflexible people.
And a hard insert to go in my shoe.  I have not tried it yet, but does not seem comfortable.

Side note:  xrays of my left foot were normal.  I asked him about what that pain was all about.  He thought maybe just a soft tissue bruise.

So....
This sucks!  99% sure the LP Half Marathon is out.  Also my entire Chicago marathon training plan is out the window.  I hope to be back in a week, but I don't know for sure.

Obviously if you read my blog, you know how much I love to run!  And how running is really part of me.

But...
I have a great support system.  I have so many things to be thankful for.  I have to keep this in perspective.  Things could be a lot worse!  I know that-but I am still sad about it.
My amazing support system!
The kids were so worried about my foot.  They know how much running means to me.  Jackson was very happy I didn't have to wear a cast.  Kaitlyn said she would give me a back massage so I would feel better.  Nathan was trying to show me his booboo on his foot.  And Ryan did tell me that he would teach me how to ride a real rode bike until I recover.

After I got this news, I didn't even have time to digest it.  I picked up the kids from Katie's.  (Thanks Katie for watching them again!!!)  And then we went to the kids back to school social tonight.  It was a nice distraction.  Kaitlyn and Jackson were so cute!  I just love their school, Maple Glen.

So, cross training here I come! My friend Christy and I have a date on the bike this weekend.  (Unfortunately, Christy is hurt too.  So she has to the ride the bike also)  We both don't enjoy the bike.  Oh and we won't be riding outside either.  I don't have a road bike.  We will see how long we make it before our butts make us stop.

I hope you are out there running if you can.  I miss it already.  But I will be back!  I just hope sooner rather than later.



1 comment:

  1. Have you thought about wearing a boot? I had the same injury my last track season in college and the boot allowed my foot to rest while not training and I was able to finish out the last few weeks of the season. Granted I was only racing 800m compared to a marathon but it may allow for a faster healing time. And you can take it off whenever you need to, like showering, sleeping, etc. I hope you find the joy in cross-training....consider the benefit of a better overall fitness! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete