Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tempo Run

Honestly, I didn't even know what a tempo run was until a few months ago.  I interpret a tempo run as breaking up a run into three parts:  warm-up, fast miles, then cool down.

Tempo runs are my least favorite runs.  I keep reading how important these runs are though.  So I attempted one today.  Ugh!

My goal was to run a couple of warm-up miles, run 3 miles at an 8 min pace and then slow down a little to finish out a 9 mile run.

Well I only ran 2 miles at 8 minutes.  I just don't like running that fast anymore.  It is not really my legs that slow me done but my lungs.  They burn...and I don't like that feeling.  I slowed my run down a little after those miles and averaged an 8:40 pace for the 9 miles.


I am not sure when it became so hard for me to run 8 min miles.  I used to be able to bang out 5 miles at that pace no problem.  I also ran 8 miles at that pace a few months ago.  Now I can't run more than 2 or 3  at that pace???  Am I getting slower?  I'll just tell myself that I am building up my endurance now and the speed will come later. (And I don't need to run 1 single mile in my marathon at that pace!)  Ok now I've made myself feel better.

Good news:  I ran 9 miles today!  Midweek.  That is a record for me.  Also the weather was fantastic this morning:)

So what are my favorite runs:
1.  Long runs:  I love how good I feel after a long run.  My lungs never hurt either.
2.  Intervals:  Ok I know I said I don't like to go fast.  But when it is only for a mile or 1/2 mile and then I can walk for a minute, I don't mind it.
3.  Easy runs:  I love going out and getting lost in my run and not worrying about pace at all.
4.  Tempo runs:  These are the hardest for me.

What is your least favorite run?  How do you get through it?

No comments:

Post a Comment