Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Remembering my First Marathon: Monumental Marathon Recap

I ran my first marathon, The Monumental Marathon, last November 2010.

Since I am about to run my second marathon, I thought now would be a good time to remember what went right and wrong.

Recap (from what I remember about a year later):
The night before I did not sleep at all.  Somehow I need to fix this problem.  Maybe benadryl?  Has any ever tried this before a race?
Ryan and the kids made signs.  That meant so much.

Kaitlyn and her sign.  Love it!
Jackson getting ready to cheer.



That morning I was a nervous wreck.  I was having major GI issues.  Ryan drove me down to the start and I think I made him stop at about 10 different restrooms.


It was freezing!  Upper 20s/Low 30s at the start.  I was so upset at the time.  Now I would love running in that weather.
Waiting at the start.  It was freezing!


I was kind of in a daze waiting in the start corral.  All of the sudden the gun went off.  I felt that I wasn't ready.
At the start.  Can you see me?  I am in the middle of the picture in the pink shirt.


The first 1-2 miles I felt horrible.  My stomach was upset and I felt tired.  Was I going to make it?

Then I got in a groove.  Miles 5-8 were awesome!  I was totally in a runner's high.  Just looking around and loving every minute of it.

I thought my family was going to be at mile 10.  But didn't see them.  That was ok though.  There was good crowd support and as you turned one corner there was a very rowdy group that was giving high fives.  That was great!

About mile 12, I saw my family.  I cannot tell you how much this meant to me.  I loved it!
Hugs for everybody!


I remember crossing the half marathon mat (13.1) miles and the clock read 1:53 something.  I new PR for me.  In a marathon.  I was feeling great still!

At mile 15 the one and only hill came.  I just held strong and made it up just fine.

Mile 16 or 17 the 3:50 pace group passed me.   That was ok.  My goal was only a sub 4 marathon.

Mile 18 I saw my family again.  My legs were feeling really heavy now.  When Jackson went to hug me I almost fell over.  But seeing them gave me another boost.
More hugs:)


Around mile 20, I was tired!  Ryan refilled my gatorade bottle and my friend Jacque joined me.

Mile 21, I hit the wall!  And I mean it knocked me over!  I said time for a walk break.  When I tried to run again, I couldn't.  It was like someone put 50lb weights on both my legs and said run up this hill.  I had never felt that pain before!  I thought that if I sat down and stretched I would feel better.  As I was sitting down, I realized if I sat down I would not get back up.

So the death march began.  Walk a lot,  run a little, walk a lot.  My friend Jacque was awesome.  I really don't remember what she was saying though.  I was so tired!

At some point the 4:00 pace group passed me. That pacer was awesome.  She was trying to get me to join them.  I had nothing left:(

The crowd support was pretty thin the last few miles.  Some good things people were saying:  Looking good,  You are doing it, Nice smile.  Some things that didn't help:  You are almost there, only 3 more miles.  Really 3 miles-that feels like infinity!!!!!!

But really nothing could help me.  I was done.  I knew I would finish but I didn't care what the time said.

My family was at mile 26 again.  That did help!!  I gave it a tiny little push and finished my first marathon!
Here I come...

I look tired.  And I was!

One final push


Getting ready to cross the finish line!
I did it!  I am a marathoner!


Time:  4:17 (and a few seconds).  I honestly thought I had a sub 4 hour marathon in me.  But not on that day.
So thankful my family was there


After the race, I was frozen due to the cold temps!  I thought I might collapse.  I could barely walk to the car.  In the car I turned the heat on full blast.  In a few minutes, I thawed out and was feeling much better.
Freezing


Not exactly how I thought the day would go.  But I was hooked.  I knew I would run another marathon! Now I am going to attempt to run my second marathon in a couple of weeks.

1 comment:

  1. You've come so far honey, so proud of you!! Can't wait to watch the next one!

    ReplyDelete