Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

And the Diagnosis Is...

???
That's right.  I still don't know.  

What I do know...  It is not a stress fracture.  This is great news!  

But it could be an osteochondral lesion.  Which means the tendon has pulled away from my second toe.  This would NOT be good.  Basically he said this would require surgery and I would be out from running for 2-3 months.  He did say this is really rare.  But I couldn't tell what he thought the probability of me having it is.  He is hard to read.

It could also be bursitis or capsulitis too.  These both could be treated with a steroid shot and I would hopefully be running again pain free soon.

So still in limbo.  I will get the MRI on Monday and sounds like I won't get the results until Tuesday.  I did ask him if I could run this weekend and he said yes.  If I can tolerate the pain.

Today was the first day I have ran since Saturday.  I tried to run on Wednesday and could not do it.  Just too painful.  Today I did make it 6 miles.  My foot does hurt the entire time but it doesn't get worse.  The one thing that makes it hurt more is trying to go faster.  So I kept a pretty slow pace.  I know most people hate this weather but I love it for running.  It was cloudy, misty, and in the upper 50s. Perfect!  

One funny thing the ortho doctor did say was, "So you ran 19 miles without walking?'  Me, "Yes".  Him, "So you did not take any walking breaks or walk at all."  Me, "No".  He then looked at his assistant and gave her a silly smile.  I don't think a lot of people get runners.  I guess it may be hard to understand why we put ourselves through so much pain.  I can't really explain it.  But I never think twice about it.

Other things that made me laugh today:
1.  Kaitlyn walking on the hard floors in her new shoes like she was a super model.
2.  Then Nathan doing the exact same thing in her shoes.
3.  Jackson getting so excited that I went grocery shopping so he could organize the pantry.

Thank goodness for my kids!  They always make me laugh!



No comments:

Post a Comment