Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Finally A Diagnosis: But not a good one

The MRI results came in...

Stress fracture in my foot...BOOOOOOOOOO!

Ok now to get technical:
Official Results:
Moderate osseous edema within the right second metatarsal head and neck particularly in the planar aspect with a small focus of subarticular low signal.  The findings are most consistent with subarticular stress fracture (aka head of metatarsal bone) or osteochondrosis.


So there are some very interesting things about my MRI.  First most people who have a stress fracture in the metatarsal bone have it in the neck of the bone.  Mine is at the head.  My ortho doctor has never seen this type before.  And he is the best doctor in the area for this type of injury.  In fact this diagnosis did not even exist until 15 years ago.  This is a very RARE injury.

The most surprising news:  He still said there may be a chance I could run the Chicago Marathon.  What? What? What?
Any doctor or any athlete who has ever had a stress fracture knows the treatment.  NO running for 4-8 weeks.

This is a highly respected orthopedic doctor and I know he knows his stuff.  So hey I'll take this plan.
He did say that there is a very low risk of a complete fracture in this type of stress fracture, so I assume that is why he is letting me run some.

There are of course some pretty strict guidelines I need to follow:
1.  Not much running until the marathon.  For example I was supposed to run 20 miles this weekend.  Instead I can only run 10 miles and then do 10 miles on the elliptical.
2.  I need to stop if the pain increases.  Um... I told him if I start a run, I never stop sooner than planned.  Remember I ran 19 miles on this stress fracture.  But I will listen, I must.
3.  I have to wear a walking boot during the day.
4.  I need to get fitted for custom orthotics.  This will help cushion my foot and hopefully help take off the pressure on the area.
5.  After the marathon, I need to take a month off from running.  SAD:(  For the past 2 years, I have never taken more than a few days off in a row.

So here we go again.  I still don't know for sure if I will be able to complete the marathon.  What if the pain becomes too much?
I will also be so under trained for the marathon.  I wanted to do three 20 mile runs in preparation for this marathon.  Instead I will have done 0.  Not very promising at all.  Will I have the endurance to make it?

Have you ever had a stress fracture?  I would love to hear how your recovery went.  Also do any of my medical friends have any thoughts on this diagnosis or treatment plan?

What a bummer!

No comments:

Post a Comment