Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

My First Practice Triathlon/Kids Update

Last week I did  my own sprint triathlon at the gym.  It made me realize I have many things to practice before my first "real" triathlon.

The Swim:  I jumped in the pool and swam 500 meters.  My pool now has a big huge digital clock on the wall so I can see how slow I am really going.  I would say I am not the slowest swimmer ever anymore but not fast at all.  I think I need to take a swim lesson or two and learn how to swim more efficiently.

I ran into a friend from medical school and chatted for a few minutes before swimming another 500 meters.

Transition 1:  This is the part that I need to work on the most.  I can not change into my bike/running clothes quickly when I am still wet.  I am sure it was a funny picture.

The Bike:  I biked on the spin bike for 20 minutes.  I played with resistance to make it seem like I was going up hills.  I think this will be the easiest part of a race, but I really have no idea.  I do know that I can't wait to be on a road bike soon!

Transition 2:  Change bike shoes to running shoes.  Not as difficult as the first transition.

The Run:  Good news is that my legs didn't feel like jello.  But I was just tired.  I only brought water to drink and normally I can do an hour work out without fuel.  However when I put different events together I think it takes more out of me.  Next time I will have gatorade.  I ran 3 miles and they went by pretty fast.  Still my favorite thing to do!!!!

Probably not at all what a real triathlon feels like but gets me excited for this summer.  I have a lot to work on but I do think I have the endurance to finish a sprint triathlon.

Kids update:

Kaitlyn had her Level 4 State gymnastic meet this weekend and did awesome!  She scored her first 9 on bars (9.05).  I think bars will end up being her best event with how strong she is.  She scored a 8.925 on beam.  Beam is usually her best event but she had a little mess up on her dismount so she didn't get as high of score as she could have.  She scored a 8.925 on vault.  She was upset that she didn't get a 9 on this event but it is hard for her to get much power on the spring board since she is such a tiny girl.  She scored a 8.75 on floor which she was the most proud of.  Floor is definitely her weakest event but she has worked really hard and was so happy with her score.  Her overall score was 35.7.  So proud of her!

The best news is is that her team, Interactive Academy, won second place!  I am glad that the competition season is over for awhile.  Now she can just have fun at the gym and work on her level 5 skills.
Can you tell Kaitlyn is a little excited that they won second place?


Jackson will start soccer season soon.  I just love to watch him play.  He has his daddy's speed and is so darn cute out there.

No sports for Nathan yet.  But we finally took down his crib and put him in a big boy bed.  This makes me so sad.  Will we ever put the crib up again?  I just want Nathan to stay a baby for a little longer.

I hope everyone has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment