Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Working on Goal #1 for the Year

Goal #1 for the year is to stay injury free.  I think this was smart of me to make this my #1 goal so if I ever feel like being lazy I can just say I am working on my first goal.

But honestly this is the hard for me.  I want to run everyday.  It takes more willpower for me to take a day off then to get out the door for a run.  (I wish I had this problem with eating too.  Unfortunately I may just have eaten a huge bag of starbursts. Didn't really want to eat the fruit instead.)

I have missed 2 of my scheduled runs this week.  I have been having some different pain and I thought that maybe my body needs some extra rest.

So you would think that I would have tons of energy now and feel great.  No...I am now sick.  I am sure it is a virus of some kind.

Why does this happen?  Many runners say that they tend to get sick during their taper weeks.  Well I have a theory...

I can't use the disclaimer that I am not a medical professional and have no training in medicine.  Because I am a medical professional and do have a lot of medical training.  But this is still my opinion.  There has been no scientific study on this (or at least I have never seen one).

I think running or any sort of exercise boosts the immune system ( ok this has been studied) but  when you take time off not only does your body take a nap but so does your immune system (my opinion).  Well probably your B and T cells don't really take a nap but maybe they are not on high alert and so those little viruses that are all around sneak in while everybody is resting.  Then the virus attacks and your body gets sick.

So basically what I am saying is that I am sick and will now have to take more time off.  But I am still working on goal #1.

No comments:

Post a Comment